Data Scientist (Horse Racing)
Pythia Sports are looking for a creative thinking and experienced person to join their established in-house modelling team as a Data Scientist in Horse Racing modelling and simulation. The purpose of the role is to develop and conduct statistical analysis of predictive models for a horse racing prediction pipeline.
The successful Data Scientist will be an innovative, self-driven person with high levels of integrity. They will be working closely with local and remote teams and therefore need to be highly communicative, but also work well independently. They must be well organised and have the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
We are currently working from home and expected to start attending office once a week in the next few months.
- Additional pay: Bonus scheme
- Schedule: Monday to Friday
- Education: PhD (preferred)
- Work authorisation: United Kingdom (preferred)
- Additional leave
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible schedule
- Private dental insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Referral programme
- Sick pay
- Work from home
- Have a deep understanding of the data, its limitations and meaning, including the investigation of data validity
- Build and maintain data-driven predictive models
- Research and apply novel modelling techniques
- Build and maintain model validation metrics to regularly track performance
- Have awareness of the limitations of any model output
- Have an understanding of statistical robustness and validity
Key Skills / Qualifications
- Experience using advanced statistics and modelling techniques – preferably in Horse Racing
- PhD or equivalent industry experience with data
- Strong programming skills, with a preference for (but not limited to) Matlab, Python and R
- A track record of using data to solve complex problems
- A knowledge and interest in sport will be helpful
- Experience working with cloud computing (desirable).